ART EDUCATION FOR CHILDREN: IDEAS AND BOOKS
“Art has the role in education of helping children become like themselves instead of more like everyone else” – Sydney Gurewitz Clemens.
My kids were just 9 months old when they first enrolled in Rita Noguera’s art workshops and I will always be grateful to Rita for showing us the importance of art and creativity in early childhood education.
I thought it might be fun to share with you some interesting articles I have found online on this subject as well as a round-up of different art ideas, activities and book suggestions.
- 10 Reasons why Arts in education is so important for Kids: http://www.learningliftoff.com/10-reasons-arts-in-education-important-kids/#.Wct0D4qx-_U
- I truly believe that it’s never too early to see art, listen to music or hear a story. This early childhood program in New Orleans proves that children who are introduced to literature and music at a young age are more likely to excel in academics: http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/entertainment_life/article_cd9116d0-8221-11e7-868a-2b7795eeb1b2.html
- Would you like to raise a creative child? This is really worth reading! You just need to “back off”: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/opinion/sunday/how-to-raise-a-creative-child-step-one-back-off.html
- Rita Noguera explains in this interview why it is important to teach children to be creative.
- 51 ways that Arts Education rewards children by Neve Spicer. I would like to thank We The Parents for designing this amazing infographic with the “51 benefits of Art Education for kids”.
Do you need some inspiration and ideas to create an art space for your children at home and you do not know where to start? Would you like to just dive right into art activities with your child but you don’t want the mess? Here you have some great links.
- The amazing Mari Cherry offers 10 art secrets every parent should know: http://www.mericherry.com/2014/08/20/5-art-secrets-every-mom-know/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=postplanner&utm_source=facebook.com
- 10 Hands-on activities for teaching colors (with playdough, painting, color hop, sensory bottles…): https://sicilysheartandhome.com/teaching-colors/
- 2 art workshops for children: “Draw a doodle” and “Multiple circles” by Rita Noguera.
- Inspiring ideas to set up a Kids Art Space that builds creative confidence & independence: https://artfulparent.com/2017/01/kids-art-space.html
A summary of some of my favorite art books for kids and also some wonderful books about great artists:
- Henri Matisse: Activities and books
- My Stencil Kit by Hervé Tullet
- Splat! Art History for Children
- The magical garden of Claude Monet
- Miro’s Magical Animals.
- Frida Kahlo
- Rojo, Azul, Amarillo. Such a beautiful story to teach children about the primary colors! Children will read about how all the shades of the rainbow came to be as colors blend together.
And at last, I would like to end this post with a very special recommendation. As you know I have a passion for children’s books and every once in a while I get the chance to really read something extraordinary. This is the case of “El Cuadro” (the picture) written by Mª Isabel Sánchez Vergara, illustrated by Abert Arrayás and edited by Alba Editores.
It is a creative book about contemporary fine arts- with an unexpected turn at the end- that bonds art with self-expression and will give your child the voice to express himself freely and proudly.