INSPIRING KIDS TO LOVE THE OCEAN
We live on a fragile planet. We must transform how we live to guarantee a sustainable future for the next generations.
Two years ago, I shared this video “Nature is speaking,” and two years after I still feel that we are not listening. Sometimes I wonder if we will ever listen to all the awakening calls from nature. Will humans be able to make a global change on time?
My only hope is that we continue to spread the love for nature and raise more awareness around pollution. We must inspire our children to love the ocean and understand our natural world.
There are many organizations, artists, and scientists doing a fantastic job. Here are some of them and please add on the comment section any other that you might consider relevant.
- Oceans by BBC Earth: a journey in 3D through our oceans. These videos will embark your children on a global odyssey to discover the most extensive and least explored habitat on earth.
- “Plastic Ocean” is an extraordinary art project by Thirza Schapp, who is fighting plastic pollution by raising awareness. Her artistic sculptures are done with the trash that she finds on beaches.
- “ONE WATER – ONE LIFE – ONE PLANET.” A great reminder by Blue Bubble World.
- Stories and solutions for a waste-free world.
- Did you know that nearly 1% of the plastic in our oceans is made up of toothbrushes? There are natural eco alternatives to plastic toothbrushes.
- 4Ocean is actively cleaning our oceans.
- Yacht Boaz‘s mission is to create awareness of plastic pollution “one nautical mile at a time”.
- Would you like your children to know about marine life conservation and biology? Would you want them to have a lifelong love for the ocean? In this post, we share our incredible experience at the Loggerhead Marinelife Center in Florida, dedicated to promoting ocean conservation through education, research, and rehabilitation. Their mission is to promote conservation of ocean ecosystems with a particular focus on threatened and endangered sea turtles.
I would like to recommend two magical illustrated books that will take your kids on an adventurous journey through the ocean.
Under the Ocean” by Annouck Boisrobert and Louis Rigaud.
Beautifully designed and illustrated, this pop-up book is a thought-provoking naval expedition around the world. Children (suitable ages 5+) will love seeing “above and under” the sea. It is truly original!
“The children and the Whale” by Daniel Frost (edited by Little Gestalten).
Award-winning illustrator-author Daniel Frost tells a compelling story of kinship (two siblings who set out to find a mysterious whale) with incredibly bold pictures set in the wilderness of the Arctic circle. It is a beautiful book that inspires children to be adventurous and to love the spectacular fauna of the Arctic ocean.
At last, on our recent trip to California, I discovered this amazing collection of ocean puzzles by Mudpuppy that would certainly spark any kids imagination. These wooden and environmentally friendly puzzles celebrate creativity.