SAILING: LIFE TIME BENEFITS FOR CHILDREN
“I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship” – Louisa May Alcott.
This summer our oldest son tried sailing. He is just 7 and did a 2 week optimist course and it has been one of his favorite summer experiences ever.
Just by looking at these pictures I know that he had such a great fun… but in addition sailing has also many lifetime benefits for children:
- responsibility and respect for the environment.
- weather knowledge: water temperature, direction of the thunderstorms, winds…
- water safety: how to avoid collisions.
- character education: sailing requires perseverance and following rules.
- learn teamwork
- self-esteem and confidence by piloting their own craft.
- sense of direction: which direction they come from, picking out landmarks, knowing how to get back to the port…
- spatial awareness: how to navigate through narrow spaces, how to cost a dock with finesse…
- physical coordination
- important habits: children learn how to keep their boat tidy, how to properly rig and unrig a boat, how to put things away in the right place… (I wish they would also keep their playroom tidy!)
If your kids haven’t tried sailing, have them give it a try! They will love it!